Title: Scenes from Long Roads, New photographs by Andy Cook
Dates: 09.17.2008-10.18.2008
Where: School 33 Art Center, 1427 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
Website: www.school33.org
In an informal dialogue Andy talks about his current show:
Q: Why did you title your show Scenes From Long Roads?
A: Many of these images were taken while traveling, so I wanted a title that could somehow reflect that. It's also a body of work that I imagine I'll continue to work on, so the long road image leaves it kind of open to that. I also took a lot of these pictures and think of them as establishing shots for scenes in movies. Using the word "scenes" made sense because it gave it something of a cinematic feeling.
Q: Have you always photographed with this documentary style eye?
A: My day job is shooting for a newspaper, so documentary these days is something I do a lot of. My earliest work however was more experimental and involved a lot of long exposures and multiple exposures taken at night. I still do that work, but I started this second strain of work sometime during college after being introduced to photographers like Joel Sternfeld, Stephen Shore, and William Eggleston. I like how they used landscape photography to comment on American society. Right now I'm enthralled with the work of Taryn Simon, who I think blends documentary and fine art photography really well.
Q: On the technical aspect, what camera did you use and why?
A: I shoot with a Mamiya 7. It's a medium format camera that looks and functions like a 35mm. It's much better suited to shooting in the field than in a studio, which a lot of medium format cameras are better for. I've had it for 6 years, so I guess I'm pretty comfortable with it. It feels casual to use, but at the same time I get a really nice big 6x7 negative to work with.
The video (below) shows Andy's currently exhibited artwork...
Dates: 09.17.2008-10.18.2008
Where: School 33 Art Center, 1427 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
Website: www.school33.org
In an informal dialogue Andy talks about his current show:
Q: Why did you title your show Scenes From Long Roads?
A: Many of these images were taken while traveling, so I wanted a title that could somehow reflect that. It's also a body of work that I imagine I'll continue to work on, so the long road image leaves it kind of open to that. I also took a lot of these pictures and think of them as establishing shots for scenes in movies. Using the word "scenes" made sense because it gave it something of a cinematic feeling.
Q: Have you always photographed with this documentary style eye?
A: My day job is shooting for a newspaper, so documentary these days is something I do a lot of. My earliest work however was more experimental and involved a lot of long exposures and multiple exposures taken at night. I still do that work, but I started this second strain of work sometime during college after being introduced to photographers like Joel Sternfeld, Stephen Shore, and William Eggleston. I like how they used landscape photography to comment on American society. Right now I'm enthralled with the work of Taryn Simon, who I think blends documentary and fine art photography really well.
Q: On the technical aspect, what camera did you use and why?
A: I shoot with a Mamiya 7. It's a medium format camera that looks and functions like a 35mm. It's much better suited to shooting in the field than in a studio, which a lot of medium format cameras are better for. I've had it for 6 years, so I guess I'm pretty comfortable with it. It feels casual to use, but at the same time I get a really nice big 6x7 negative to work with.
The video (below) shows Andy's currently exhibited artwork...
No comments:
Post a Comment